I Believe In Oxymorons

Sarah - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe that I am pro-life because I am a feminist. A contradiction, I know. Being a feminist, I didn’t always think this way. Even if, personally, I wouldn’t have an abortion, I didn’t want any grey haired old men in congress tell me what I can and can’t do with my body. However, I believe being pro-life is the most logical progression for a feminist.

I have struggled with the issue of life and choice. I always said, “I’d never have an abortion, but whatever any other women wants to do with her body is her choice.” I believed this, until I faced with a close friend’s experience. She met a sailor in a bar and had a romantic weekend with him. When he shipped out to sea, she waited for him and made plans in her mind about the wonderful relationship they would have when he returned. Arriving three months later, he didn’t call her. She saw him at their usual watering hole and he ignored her. She confronted him and he took her back, at least for one night. She ended up pregnant—with twins. When she asked him for support, he only supported one option. He picked up the tab, as any true gentleman would. However, emotionally, she is still paying the price. I have since realized that women aren’t the one’s truly benefiting from this procedure—men are.

There are clinics dotted all over the country as if they were as trivial as car washes. In a way, the patients are vehicles used for sport. They are taken out for a joy ride, and then, when they get dirty or have a problem, they are sent to be vacuumed out and hosed down. Then, they are put back on the streets to be driven again. Women are not cars.

Many modern-day feminists say that having the right to choose what to do with their bodies is empowering. But to me, killing an unborn child isn’t empowering; it is desperation. Many women I know who have had abortions do not feel empowered; they feel powerless.

I believe that pregnancy isn’t the worst thing that could happen to a woman. Some say the conception is just as bad as the birth—thank you, I’ll be here all night! But seriously folks, females have been giving birth since the beginning of time, even though it was ill-timed, complicated, and painful. Becoming pregnant is not a death sentence—but AIDS is. Herpes and HPV are incurable; there is no clinic that can magically get rid of these viruses. To me, a child is a much more rewarding consequence of unprotected sex.

I believe that women are superheroes. They give birth, cook the pot roast, clean up the vomit, spend hours “making themselves presentable” for a 50 hour work week in high heels and panty hose…because there seems to be no limit to what women can do. I also believe that the majority of women do not agree with what I believe. I understand that the freedom of choice is not something that should be diminished. But I believe women have been taken advantage of long enough. Life is difficult. Life is inconvenient. Life is not perfect. But bringing life into the world…that is a miracle.