Ocean Child

allison - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: nature

I believe in the ocean-everything about it. It’s an escape, it is a beginning and an ending, it is a vacation, and it is my home. Having something this powerful at the foot of door step any time I need it is really a blessing. My life is not filled with tragedy, and I do not have a life changing experience to share. All I have is the ocean. I am very blessed actually, living in Virginia Beach, Virginia I can enjoy the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Both have their own special purposes.

Have you ever wondered why people flock to the ocean in the summertime? I don’t. They know my secret. The ocean heals all wounds. You cannot feel negative emotion when you are lying in the sand, feeling God’s soul breathe down on you in the form of a breeze. That exhilarating escape from life moves people. There is no better way to relieve stress. There aren’t any drugs involved, or any shrink listening to empty words about an unpleasing life. The sand and the sky take care of all of it. My very first heartbreak was healed on the dunes of the north end of Virginia Beach.

Members of my family use the beach to strengthen relationships in their lives. My mother is a strong hearted woman of God and the beach is her prayer place. She can get lost in the word of God for hours there. My grandmother strengthens her relationship with her body at the beach. Having just had intense back surgery she is advised to walk daily and the only place she can force herself to walk is along the break of the Bay. My dad and I are often found at the beach most days in the summertime wrapped up in superior novels, but when it isn’t summer you can find him there on very chilly days with our dogs. Having grown up in snowy-winter filled upstate New York, my dad embraces the cold. Being reunited with this weather gives him a sort of connection to his past. Most of his childhood stories I heard in the winters of my life.

I can’t imagine not knowing the ocean. I pride myself on being from the beach; it is a part of who I am. I think that part of the reason I have never had tragedy is because I have the ultimate healer of the world seconds from me. Nothing devastating can shake me longer than the ocean can hold me. I am blessed to be in the location I am in with the people I have in my live, the ocean has a lot to do with that. This I believe.