Anything is Possible

David - Lafayette, California

Anything is Possible

I believe that, once you put your mind to it, anything is possible.

When I was little, at around three or four years old, my father would teach me Karate. One of the objects we had practiced kicking was a light, but tall and big-looking bar stool. However, when learning how to do a roundhouse kick, where you whip your leg around in a sort of semi-circle, and with your whole body behind it, I had observed my dad use this kick on the chair. Right after my dad had done it, I wanted to do it too, so, I did the kick exactly how my dad had done it, and to my father’s amazement and mine, the stool flew three feet away. It was after this incident that I began to wonder how something thought of in reality as impossible was able to be done after all.

A few years later, I had heard of an incident only imagined possible in the movies. But, Angela Cavallo, a woman merely 90 lbs, living in Lawrenceville, Georgia, had lifted a car to save her teenage son Tony on April 9th, 1982. He had a 1964 Chevy Impala jacked up in the driveway (This type of car was made from thick steel and was extra heavy). But, all of a sudden, when the jack had collapsed, Tony was pinned underneath the car. When his mother had rushed out to see what all the commotion was about, she had called for help, and, seeing what had needed to be done, immediately lifted the car four inches above the ground to free her son.

The question is: “How was this possible?” In Angela’s case, or any other instance for that matter, something as unthinkable as lifting a car, or a 500 pound boulder that is crushing someone’s hand, the only way something like this can be done, is if a sudden amount of urgency or commotion in the environment is present to force an individual to act instantly, without thinking, doubting, or wondering if it is possible. What occurs is an instantaneous heightened willingness which untaps a tremendous amount of ability. There is an emergency factor here, which produces a sudden increase in both one’s energy and tolerance for the unexpected. The need or “have to get done” feeling must be there in order for this to happen.

Thus, I believe that there are no limits in life, and that everything and anything is possible.