Chance

TJ - winter springs, Florida
Themes: change

Chance

I believe every person has the chance and the ability to change the direction of his or her life. The person has to believe that it can be done in order to succeed. In the process of changing their lives, setbacks will occur; however, people should embrace these setbacks and see them as a way to redirect their lives even more. Like most people, I got waylaid as a teenager, but when I saw the pain I caused to not only myself, my parents, and friends, I realized I had to take control of my life.

When I was a student in high school, everyone thought very highly of me. In high school, I received straight A’s till my junior year. I was ranked 14th in class and graduated with a 4.4 GPA. I was a two-sport varsity athlete, and a member of student government. I received a soccer scholarship to Rollins College.

However, when I attended college, there were some serious set backs in my life. I began to drink too much, not do my schoolwork, and was eventually arrested. My parents took me out of school. I was very mad, but realized that my parents did this because they loved me. Looking back on my life, I realized all the core values I had in my life were thrown out the door and nowhere to be found.

After I left college, I went to a psychologist to find the root of my problems. I found out that I had a chemical imbalance resulting in severe ADHD and anxiety. I underwent therapy all summer long, and trained my mind to cope with my disabilities. Now, I am attending Saint Leo University.

I am finishing up my first semester at Saint Leo University. I had a second chance, and am doing all I can to keep on the new course I’d created myself. I have met new people and made fabulous friends. I am playing soccer on the Saint Leo soccer team. I attend all of my classes, learning as much as possible. Without with chance, I do not know where I would be.

This New Year has been a building block in my life. It made me realize, I create my own luck by preparing and capitalizing on the situation that was presented to me. I understand that I also create my own problems, but I am able to fix them. These chances allow me to see life in a better, more sufficient way. I am glad I am making this year as memorable as possible. There is always a chance to change.