I Believe In God

Bailey - Grangeville, Idaho

I believe in God. Not only because I’m a part of the Nazarene Church but also because I have encountered a few miracles. One in particular happened in October of 2004. It all started when my sister and I were playing. I noticed an unusual protrusion on her chest. I told my mom to look at it and I could see the fear in her eyes. My parents took her to the doctor and had it checked right away. Our pediatrician told us that it was very serious and it was too big of a surgery for him to perform. He directed us to Shriner’s Children’s Hospital in Spokane, Washington. After a few appointments the date was set for the surgery. The Doctor informed us that he had never seen this in a female before, only in teenage boys, but he was sure he could fix it. He diagnosed her with pectus caranatum, where the sternum is twisted and it pushes outward in my sister’s case, usually it makes the chest sink in. The surgery was risky but if it wasn’t done the sternum would end up pushing on her heart and it would possibly kill her. The surgery consisted of cutting open her chest horizontally, removing all but three ribs, and cutting off the end of the sternum. After eight grueling hours of waiting the process was complete and everything had gone according to plan.

Now the hard part came, recovery. It would take six months for her ribs to grow back and for her to completely recover. Since my sister was only eight years old at the time her body had a very difficult time dealing with so much pain. There were many things that could happen, she could get fluid in her lungs, catch pneumonia, or worst of all her body could shut down all together. Well unfortunately, the worst actually almost did happen. One night she told my mom, who was sitting next to her hospital bed, that she couldn’t take the pain anymore and she said goodbye. By the grace of God my little sister was not taken from us that night, she miraculously pulled through it. She was released from the hospital a week earlier than expected and was headed down the road of recovery. Once we were home we had to keep a very watchful eye on her and people were very generous to us. She was able to go back to school about a month after the surgery, but had to wear a brace that was specially made for her. She had to be watched all the time because she couldn’t fall or be bumped otherwise it could do internal damage to her body. The kids were very careful and she kept going like a normal kid.

Now, after four years she is thirteen years old and is as good as new. She lives a happy healthy life and I thank God everyday for letting me have more time with my little sister.