The Night That Changed My Life

Anish - Coral Springs, Florida
Themes: change, setbacks

Till this day I look back at the night that changed my life and wonder how I was able to put myself in a situation like that and make the judgments that I did. I was so obsessive with trying to fit in with my “cool” friends that I forgot how to make the right decision. Little did I know that I was getting myself into a terrible situation.

It was the night of August 12, 2006 and I was sleeping over my friend’s house. We decided to sneak out of his house and go to the park with some of our friends and smoke marijuana. As we were smoking, I remember feeling like the hippest 16 year old on the planet. Once we finished smoking I saw the lights of a police car coming into the parking lot. My friends panicked and ran. I did not know what to do so I just ran with them. There were so many of us so we decided to split up in pairs. I went along with my best friend Justin into a neighborhood I never seen. As we turned a corner, a cop car was waiting for us. We were arrested for trespassing a county park and resisting arrest. My mind was twisting in disbelief because there I was, the successful hard working student, getting arrested. I did not feel so cool at that moment.

I could not even look my parents in the eye after I got home that night. I was depressed, embarrassed, ashamed and disappointed in myself. I will never forget the tears in their eyes and the disappointment in their faces. They felt as if they had failed as parents because they never thought their son would do something like this. I did 20 community service hours and wrote a letter to the court. By doing this, the charges brought against me were dropped. This situation led to the worst year of my high school career. My junior year, and I have the freedom of a freshman. The rules in my house only got more strict as the days, weeks, and months went on.

I can honestly say this night changed my life forever. Sitting in the back of that police car put many things into perspective. You only get one chance in life to create something out of yourself and I do not want to mess that up. I may have been temporarily cool at the moment but that will never get me where I want to go. I can honestly say that I am glad that the situation did happen because it opened my eyes. My goal is to once again make my parents proud of who I am. Now instead of never talking about this situation, I like to tell people about it so they will not make the same mistake I did. That night was definitely a night to remember and I am truly thankful that it really did change my life forever.