Paranormal Encounters

Bretney - Smithfield, Virginia
Themes: afterlife, family

In this I believe: Paranormal Encounters

Do you believe in ghosts? One sunny fall afternoon, my childhood friend Lacy and I were outside when my mother called us in to eat dinner. We and ran up the old wooden stairs to my front porch, and opened the creaky old door into my house. After we ate dinner and took shower my friend and I were ready to go to bed and watch a movie. My bedroom was up the old wooden stairs in the loft. As we went to the bathroom before we got in bed we heard some old fifties sounding music. We looked out the window at my neighbor’s house and it was dark and my parents were watching the news down stairs. My friend and I stared at each other completely motionless, debating whether we should run for our lives or stand there. All of a sudden panic overcame us and we darted for the stairs. As we flew down the stairs my parents asked us what in the world we were doing. I explained everything and they just looked at me like I was crazy. I told them to follow me upstairs and listen for themselves, but of course the music was gone and. My mom tucked us in bed, turned on Dr. Dolittle and said goodnight. Lacy and I laid there horrified. We kept the television on all night replaying the movie over and over again. We didn’t get a wink of sleep.

A couple of months went by and the incident was mostly out of my head and nothing weird had happened since that night. Spring started to come around and my teacher would take our class outside to play on the play ground for some free time. My teacher came up to me and said that my mom was here to pick me up. In the car my mom told me why she was there; it all started with her sitting on our couch talking on the phone with my aunt Debbie. She was just sitting there and all of a sudden out of the corner of her eye she saw a white cloud form over by the stairs. That week she also experienced the roses and baby’s breath my father had got her for their anniversary rise a couple inches out of the vase and kind of like sway. When she told my dad he thought we were both crazy.

Again whatever was in our house stopped giving us signs it was there for another couple months. My friend Maryanne and I were getting ready in the downstairs bathroom to go to the fair. I walked away for a minute when I came back my friend dashed as fast as she could out of the bathroom. Her face was pale and I asked her what was wrong. She told me she had seen a man in the mirror. She said he had a red mustache and wore a cowboy hat, at that moment my heart sank. I took her around the corner and showed her a family picture of my mom’s family and pointed to her recently passed brother. When she saw the picture and I pointed him out she shook her head yes and said that was the man she saw. We both ran and told my mom. My mom looked a little spooked but we were both relieved to know that it was my uncle trying to look after us.

Ever since that day, whenever anything weird happened like that did really scare me anymore because I knew it was just my uncle Dean watching over us. Not a lot of people believe in ghosts and think they are just in movies, but my experience proved that ghosts do exist to two of my friends and my mom and dad. If I ever have another experience with the paranormal I will not be scared, I will know that they just want to make their presence known. I now believe in ghosts.