Letting Life Come to You

Craig-Marcus - BUCHANAN, Michigan

I believe in letting life come to you. Most of us believe in god, fate, religion of some sort, or just an overall higher power, although some of us do not. Regardless of which belief we have chosen, we all seem to believe that life is something that we “DO”. I disagree. I believe life “DOES” us.

Some people tend to believe that what happens in life is all about the decisions we make as individuals, despite some intangibles that only a “greater being” could control. People walk through life trying to think ahead, stressing about things outside of our control. We try to base our everyday choices on the belief that they could and will very well, dictate our immediate future.

I believe everyone has heard the phrase; “I’ve worried myself sick!” and for what? These worries never transpire into miracles or even into the thing we desire in the first place. Worrying does our bodies and our lives no good. I myself used to worry constantly about the future. What is going to happen next is a common question I asked myself. This caused stress, stress that actually did make me sick on several occasions. The turning point in my life to move away from this sort of stressful living was a tragic experience I was forced to go through.

I was hospitalized for what my doctors and I thought was appendicitis. We were both very wrong. As I laid in the hospital bed in the E.R. I worried about my school work, my girlfriend, I worried about getting a hold of my coach, when the only thing I should have been thinking about was myself. It turned I had diverticulitis, a disease not commonly known to be fatal but if let go could very well be. I was rushed into emergency surgery and lost two feet of my small intestine. They tell me today, if only two hours longer I had gone without coming to the E.R. I could have lost my life.

After living through something such as this your perspective on life can change very dramatically, as mine did. My favorite saying to date is; “You can’t sweat the small stuff, and it’s all small stuff!” I do not know where I first heard this saying but I immediately fell in love with it. I try to, on a daily basis, let life come to me. There are obviously things in life that I cannot control and others that I can. For those that I cannot control, I let them control themselves.

Whether or not we are Christians or Atheists or whether we believe in fate or we do not believe, we can agree that there are things in our lives that we simply have no power over. So I ask, why sweat the small stuff?