The Beauty Of A Relationship

Kate - Munster, Indiana

I believe that people can impact one another’s lives. This is the beauty of a relationship. Relationships connect people by blood, love, or just common interests. Withstanding the test of time, the many hardships and successes of life, true and dedicated relationships are hard to find. A relationship is treasured gift that should be held on to at all costs.

The most common relationship is a friendship. Friendships have ups and downs, good times and bad. A real friend is someone who after many years is still there by your side. I was once told, “That a real friendship survives distance and time. When the friends finally meet and again things just kind of pick up where the left off.”

Thinking of friendship, I think of my best friend and how no one else but her can understand our friendship. Within the past year our friendship has gone through some of the worse times, consisting of lying, backstabbing, and gossip. It was the type of situation I feel most other people would have just given up on. Against the odds, we worked through the mess that we created for ourselves and remained friends. Sitting at lunch together after not seeing each other for almost two months, separated by different colleges and several states, we chatted about crazy college stories. It was hard to believe that we were fighting this time last year, so much so that we were not even speaking. Getting back to the point where we can laugh and truly trust each other again took a lot of tears and soul searching. Surviving that mess of emotions and stress, our friendship has grown.

Some relationships are special and grow sweeter with time like a fine wine. My Aunt and I have a special relationship. She is like a mother, an aunt and a best friend all wrapped into one. There is no one in my family who I feel closer too. There is nothing I cannot talk to her about and I tell her much everything too. She evens knows my Facebook password. Connected by blood, she has impacted and changed the way I view life with every word of every sentence.

My aunt and I talk a lot. She has even given me advice about dealing with the big fight I had with my best friend last year. Although my aunt did not truly agree with my decision to work it out with my best friend. She stood by my side the whole time and is proud of the way I saw the situation through in the end.

Relationships teach us through experience like touching a hot stove with your finger. You only realize that it was a bad decision to touch the hot stove after you are burnt. Regardless of the outcome, we learn some of the best life skills like teamwork, forgiveness, leadership and trust. They change us, for better or worse. It is in relationships that we create these lasting memories that guide us throughout our lives.