I Believe My Mama Was Born To Be A Mother

Annamika - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe my Mama was born to be a mother. My mother raised my brother and me as a single parent. She strove to give us both every opportunity possible even if it meant scarifying the things she wanted. She taught me many lessons, which have shaped who I am today. Some of the lessons were fundamental like the difference between right and wrong, and the importance of doing the right thing. On the other hand she taught me that pink polka dots and red stripes don’t match, thus saving me from many a fashion mishaps in preschool.

My mother made sure that the two of us never went without. We always had clean clothes, a roof over our head. We went to bed with full bellies of food even if it included highly protested broccoli.

My mother made sure that we used our talents. We were in every extracurricular activity we wanted to be in even if it meant driving my brother to hockey practice at five in the morning. I never understood why she did this without complaining. She later told me she enjoyed the quiet time in the car with my brother.

My mother made sure we never lived in fear. She encouraged us to try new things and experience life. By way of introduction to this lesson she took us to the village gorge and assisted us in pollywog and salamander hunting. My friends could not believe that my mother would take us to do something so cool. Their mother told them there were too many germs.

My mother taught me how to tame my stubborn streak. Whenever I was short sighted or convinced I was right she made me take a step back and look and the entire picture. With this she taught me tolerance. I learned that my way was not always the only way and this has allowed me to move further in my life.

My mother taught me how to grow. She made me strive to want more out of life. She made me work hard and to expect more out of myself. Although this part has taken longer than most of the others, she has had patience. Which leads me to another lesson she taught.

Patience, as I grew I began to lack patience. Patience with myself mostly, I set expectations high and become frustrated when I fail. Through her words of wisdom as recent as this weekend she made me understand I needed patience. I also learned patience by watching her raise my brother. He was an adventurous, wild child who tested her everyday. Even on the hardest day she would wrap her arms around him and hold him until he was calm.

Through all of the lessons and experience she provided us, she taught me the most important lesson of all. She taught me how to be a mother. This is the biggest gift she could ever give me. My Mama was born to be a mother.