True, innocent, pure love

Shaunna - Chesapeake, Virginia
Themes: children, love

I believe that love saved me. True, innocent, pure love. A Christ-like love. A love that can only be given by a child.

At the age of 19, I was lost. I had just been let go at my job, my mom and I were not on speaking terms, and my dad was not a big part of my life. I moved in with my grandparents who became a saving grace for me, but it was the love of the children that saved me. I got a job at a preschool, a Christian preschool with only six kids to start. When I met the newly appointed director, she was in love with the Lord and it bubbled out. I didn’t know it but she loved to preach; preach the word, preach how to work, preach about everything. At first, like a typical teenager, I rolled my eyes and tuned her out, but as I got older, more mature, what she said made sense. She had the type of personality that pulled people in; she could make a dead person smile. She gave me a chance at this little preschool, and to this day I am still there, recently becoming the assistant director. It has been five long glorious years and over hundreds of kids, but I believe that their love saved me.

The small little hands wrapped around my neck make me melt. I lose myself in the children. I let myself go, act crazy and goofy, I become a child. I sing to the top of my lungs with ten little children dancing around. I get messy with the red, yellow, and purple finger paint. They are my therapy, my saviors. They don’t judge, they don’t hate. They love, a love that is a true, innocent, pure. It doesn’t matter what happened in my life, they don’t care how much money I have, or what color I am, as long as I have a kind word, arms to hug, a cuddly lap and love to give. They taught me how to love.

Between the love of the children and the love of my director, my life turned around. When I started, I was throwing my life away. I was angry at the world and there was no direction in my life. My director took a chance with me and I started to flourish. I was timid as a mouse, barely speaking to the parents, but I slowly grew more confident. My faith grew along with my courage allowing me to become a stronger person and teacher. The love of the Lord, the love of a child, the love of my director helped me.

I believe that the love of the children saved me. That true, innocent pure love. A love that symbolizes the love of the Lord, the unconditional love. A love that brought me closer to the Lord. A love that brought me to my best friend. A love that is true, innocent, and pure.