Performance

Elizabeth - Orlando

I believe in performing. In acting, singing, dancing, and moving. I believe in theatre. To me, acting is a way of releasing energy. It’s my way of expressing my story, my life. Theatre is one of the best ways to tell a story, of expressing an emotion, of letting someone know your inner-most thoughts.

I took drama/musical theatre in high school, and to me it was more than an easy A. It was the part of the day that I most looked forward to. All I ever wanted was to get under the spotlight and perform. I could not have gotten through school without it. Singing is my true passion, so musicals completely set me free. I never feel more alive than I do when I’m up on that stage belting it.

At first theatre was something I shied away from. I was so nervous about auditioning that I usually just went for ensemble roles, so I could be a part of the show, but not the center. As time went by I started to lose my inhibitions, and feel more comfortable in my skin. When you’re on stage you’re not you; you’re the character you’re playing. It’s so much fun to be someone else without having to worry that someone will make fun of you. I am not myself when I’m stage. I take on a different role and people don’t think of me as “that shy girl in their economics class.”

Theatre has helped me grow so much. It has made me a little more comfortable talking in front of people and it has made me be able to accept myself as a talented singer and actress. I’m still extremely shy, but I’m progressing towards becoming an actress. Many people think that drama is lame, but they’re probably just too shy, and too uncomfortable with themselves to stand up on the stage and belt it. I know I used to be. You just have to give it a chance. Expand your mind. Lose your inhibitions. Let yourself go.