Success is Achieved by Doing Your Own Work

Tarkik - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I believe that to achieve success in life a person has to do their own work. “Doing your own work is what life is all about; if a person is not doing his or her work then they lack self confidence and won’t have great success,” my mother said. Usually a person doesn’t do their own work either when they are too lazy or they think there is someone better who can do it. Human beings are always going to get punished if they don’t do their own work. It’s like the old saying goes, “What comes around goes around.”

When I was 11 years old, I had to do a huge group project for my science class. I chose two of the smartest people in class, who were intelligent and reliable. I told them on the first day of the project, “I really don’t think I can help you guys in this project and, you probably will do a better job than I will.” So they started doing the project without me. We turned in our project on the due date and received 88 on the project. I was so proud of them; this was the best thing I did without actually doing it. But, on the same day, our teacher gave us another paper and it said “Pop Test” on the top in bold handwriting.

The Pop Test was on the project we just did. I had no idea of what we did on our project, and I was sure I failed that test. A couple of days later she gave the pop test back to us and I received a 30 on that test. My mom’s belief struck me, and it made me feel so stupid. I should have listened to her. I received a B in that class as my overall grade. From that day on I have never let anybody else do my work for me even if I thought it was terrible.

A week ago my fathers’ computer got attacked by a virus. He knew how to remove the virus, but wasn’t sure about it 100 percent. So he picked up the phone and called a computer technician. The technician took 200 dollars to fix a virus, which my father could have easily fixed. He wasn’t really proud of what he did, but at the same time, he was happy to see all his files safe. A couple of days later the same virus popped back up and this time he tried to fix it and he achieved success. He called the technician and asked for a refund since it wasn’t fixed the first time. The technician said there was more than one virus in his computer, which was totally wrong. My father realized his mistake, but he will make sure the next time he gets a virus, he will fix it by himself.

Not only will you feel guilty for not doing your own work, but you will also have to depend more on others. My first essay I did in college, I asked my sister to review it and see if there were any errors. She was so busy that day, so I had to do it on my own, and boy was I glad I did it by myself; because some errors were so confusing that only I could figure it out. My belief is like a math equation: doing your own work equals good grades and success.