Incorrect Correctness

Dante - sycamore, Illinois

Incorrect Correctness

I believe my country needs freedom of speech. In school and in public, I feel I am not allowed to express myself. My generations’ language and art has been censored and victimized. Without free speech, we not only limit words but ideas and the victims our not just ourselves, but our culture as well.

Free speech is a Constitutional right. Free speech is something that our Nation was founded on. A key difference between the United States and Nazi Germany was the fact that we had free speech and the Nazis oppressed people. I like to speak my mind without fear of repercussion from the law. Nowadays there is protection from the law for people who get criticized. I think this is pure crap. People should not be penalized by the law for what they say, unless maybe they threaten someone. That is the only case in which I agree with censoring speech.

By limiting the use of words, we effectively limit ideas. What use is thinking about something if you’re not allowed to talk about it? Picture if the founding fathers were not allowed to talk about a FREE nation, with FREE speech, and FREEDOM of religion! We would not have an America today, we would still be English. Our culture would be gone. These are effects of limiting free speech.

In high school, I was friends with a black student. His name was Dom. In the hallways we would joke with each other by throwing racial slurs at each other. I called him a ‘coon and he called me a cracker. A teacher overheard this and gave each of us a detention. It didn’t matter we were kidding, we had to speak to an administrator to get things cleared up. Our Nation has become far too sensitive to words. Another form of speech, art, is eventually going to be subject to censorship. Movies are an art form, and they already have ratings and censorship on them. If it’s not suitable, don’t see it in theaters! Music is also edited. Lil Jon and 50 Cent, as well as R. Kelly and other suck artists are having their messages limited. Words like ass and damn are being taken out of their songs. When did those words become so dangerous and offensive? Pretty soon paintings and sculptures are going to be edited. Can you picture the statue of ‘David’ fully dressed, maybe in a suit with a tie? Well that’s where we’re headed. It’s sick. Pretty soon everything the artists wanted to convey will be destroyed.

I am against any censorship, unless it’s for safety purposes. I don’t want people yelling FIRE! In a movie theater, threatening death or harm on someone, but I want to listen to my music, see my art and watch my movies without scenes and words being cut out of the production.