good exsist in everybody

zach - columbia, Tennessee

I Believe That Everyone is Good Inside

I believe that everyone has a good side in them. Some people have different ways of showing it, whether it’s a normal everyday person or if it’s a convicted felon. Everyone has good intentions in mind when they do something because they think what they are doing is the right thing even if that thing turns out to be bad.

I was in Atlanta going to a basketball game; we had to get on the train to get to the arena when a homeless person was begging for money. She told everyone what she had been through and that she wanted just a little bit of money to buy a burger a McDonalds. It was amazing how many people gave this woman money; even people who looked like they didn’t care gave a little bit to her. I got off that train thinking to myself how much people actually care, everyone on that train didn’t have to give this woman anything but they wanted to. It really made me think about my life and how lucky I was, and that maybe I should do something to be a better person.

I was watching Real Sports on HBO one when they showed a story about the state prison in Louisiana. This was one of the most dangerous prisons in the United States before the current warden got there. What made the difference was that he started an annual rodeo in which the prisoners could participate in, but the only prisoners that could participate were the ones on good behavior. This rodeo has been going on since 1983 and draws huge crowds every rodeo. When they talked to some of the prisoners about what the rodeo meant to them there was one who was serving 3 life sentences that said that the rodeo was the only thing that keeps him going. There’s nothing like being in that rodeo and listening to complete strangers chanting and screaming his name. All the other interviews with the prisoners were somewhat like this. It just shows that everyone just needs something positive to bring out the good in a person, even prisoners who have done terrible things.

Good exists in everyone whether it’s a felon or a normal person. People have the power to be good; it’s just whether they choose to be. Being a good person is satisfying knowing that you did something to help someone. It may not mean that much to you, but it means so much to the person you helped.