I Belive in

Jessica - Mira Loma, California

I believe in “Mr. Smith”, a young American man. The man with many opportunities. Mr. Smith is a very well known name, a much respected one at that; but why is it that many envy him?”

I come from a different world than “Mr. Smith”; first off all I’m not a Mr. but a Miss. That alone takes away opportunities, simply because of my gender. My gender does not indicate my knowledge or ability, so why is it that in every application my gender is asked? Is it stereotyping me even before they meet me? In many instances I have been underestimated because of my gender. I guess women are always pushed aside because that’s how it has always been. Women do a lot and complain little. I work, go to school, help my mom around the house and don’t complain. I don’t understand why people assume that all I am good for is reproducing. I know some ethnicities have a reputation for over populating the country and I say this because coming from a Hispanic family I have been told so.

“Mr. Smith” it sounds like a normal American name right; but then you hear Miss Quintero and it totally throws you off right? It is because it has a Miss in the beginning or because the name is not of American origin. I ask myself is this why in an application I am always asked to check the box that indicates my ethnicity? I know that many Hispanics make mistakes and that reflects on Hispanics as a whole but all other ethnicities are the same way.

I believe in “Mr. Smith”, his name says it all, appearance, brains and a good reputation. Me on the other hand I am considering a good for nothing Hispanic woman that is only good for reproducing. Well, I know that I will make something out of myself by going to college. I may still be stereotyped by my appearance but not by my education.

I may not get attention in a job application but when I walk in to a store I’m the center of attention. I remember when I walked in to a store, I was being watched by my every move, everything I touched they were making sure I put it back. They looked at me like a criminal, but they don’t know my morals or values, all they see is a Hispanic teenager.

I thought that this was a country that respected diversity; I guess not. American to me means being proud to live in this country and having these customs that many of us share. Though I’ m proud to live in this country I at times am shameful to live in a place where discrimination takes place. I believe in a country were my gender or my ethnicity says nothing but goodness. I believe in equality of all people. But unfortunately I also believe in “Mr. Smith”.