Everything Happens For a Reason

Lindsay - St. Davids, Pennsylvania
Themes: death, family, purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason.

November 18, 2005 my Aunt Kathy died from lymphoma. She had two daughters; Kory, 23 and Kara, 21, and a loving husband, Keith. She had been fighting this horrible disease for three years.

Shortly after she died, my uncle began dating. However, no one in the family knew about this. All of a sudden, one day my uncle was on a business trip in Washington, DC and came up for a visit. While he was there, he informed the family that he was engaged. Everyone was stunned and not really sure how to react. My cousins were angry. My uncle explained that he had been letting go of my aunt for three years and then several months after she died. He also told us that this woman, ironically named Kathi, had a nine year old son.

All of this was just so new and surprising that there were so many mixed emotions. Even still, the family was very happy for him. We all wanted to see him experience joy again. They were happily married in fall of 2006. My uncle was once again happy. On top of all of this joy, he adopted her son, Nathan, and they began a lifelong journey. As far as they family knew, this marriage was as normal as any marriage. Unfortunately, we were all in for a shock.

On November 8, 2008, the family was informed that Kathi had taken her life the previous night. Not only did my uncle learn, that night, of her alcoholism, but the next morning, he found her dead. He and Nathan had gone to every bar in Los Alamos, New Mexico (where they live) looking for her.

Anyone looking at this situation would see nothing but grief, except for my family members. Yes, my uncle has gone through so much pain in the last three years but he has saved a life. My uncle has become very close to Nathan in the past two years and they now have a great relationship. My uncle is able to console Nathan in his loss and Nathan is able to be support for my uncle in his loss.

While a majority of the family was out in New Mexico after the tragic event, Nathan was asked if he wanted to stay with his new dad or go somewhere else. It was wonderful news to hear that Nathan chose to stay with my uncle.

Had my uncle not lost a wife in 2005 and remarried again in 2006 and adopted this young boy, he would be orphaned and alone in this world, but God had a different plan for his life. Everything happens for a reason.