Forever Should be Possible

Devon - Florida

Growing up in Ocala Florida, I lived my life as if I was invincible. I rode horses, rollerbladed, climbed trees and played in the woods. On top of being very mischievous, I was living the perfect life with the perfect family. I was healthy, my family was all healthy, and I was definitely a spoiled little girl. My worry free childhood suddenly began to tumble downhill as my mom and dad talked about getting a divorce.

There were suddenly worries and concerns that filled my head. Are they really going to go through with the separation? Will their separation lead to my brother and I being split up? Who will I live with; will I see both my parents regularly? When their divorce was finalized I had the answers, and not the ones I was hoping for. It turned out that this was the beginning of a tragic childhood.

When the divorce was settled and I was living with my father and brother, we received the news that my mother had just got into a fatal car accident. It happened late one October night, the roads were so slick that she lost control of her car and it flipped six times. Hearing my dad force these words past is lips made my eyes fill with tears as I felt my heart break in half. I had no control over this as I was only five years old, but I still felt solely responsible.

As time passed I realized that this piece of me was gone forever, my mother: a girl’s guide to survival. As I started accepting the fact that she was in a batter place, my uncle died. I once again felt that familiar feeling of my heart breaking; I had not only lost my mother but now I had lost my best friend. He took me everywhere he went, and taught me all about being independent and doing what makes me happy.

Not even a year after his death, I lost both of my great grandparents, and I was starting to believe that one day I will be all alone. With this fear I saw a solution to my worries, and I started to believe that I could prevent this from re-occurring to other people.

I strongly believe that no one should have to deal with the hardship of loosing someone that is important to them. These events in my childhood inspired me to become a doctor; being in the field of medicine will give me a great opportunity to prevent innocent people from being devastated by similar tragic events. I am inspired to find cures, treat illnesses, and put off death for as long as possible. No one deserves to lose family or friends.