Emerson - Katy, Texas
Themes: family, illness

Two years ago my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer, but like all stubborn dads he refused to believe the facts. He had let so much time pass by without treatment or any medication, making himself believe that it wouldn’t bother him. About three months ago he finally realized what was happening to his body, but it was too late, the cancer had already spread to his bladder. The doctor asked my dad, “Do you want to die?” he couldn’t believe that someone would let that happen to them. My dad had to have a cystectomy, it’s a medical term for surgical removal of all or part of the urinary bladder. After the twelve hour surgery the doctors walked up to my mother to let her know that everything came out ok, but that he will still need the chemotherapy. It would be a long time before he would get to be himself again. During these past couple of months my mother has had to take over some of the responsibilities around the house while my dad recovers. She still has to go to work while keeping up with the bills, the cooking, cleaning, running arrins, grocery shopping, and ofcourse taking care of my dad, all at the same time. I do try and help her around the house, but with school, work, and band, it’s kind of hard finding time. I have to admit she is going through a lot right now but she still manages to keep a smile on her face. She is so strong to have gone through all of this without complainig or stressing out over anything. It really opened up my eyes, and I appreciate her so much for all that she has done for my family. She has always been there for me, never left my side and has always been so supportive. After all this I believe that she can overcome anything, obstacles will come but she will still be the same person that I’ve know all my life, my mom. During this time she has also taught me a lesson in appreciation, my family has always been there for me and I will always be there for them. This I believe.