Everything in life happens for a reason

Kyle - Sorrento, Florida

Throughout my life I have always vacationed with my family to experience different parts of the country. While on a trip to the Keys a few years ago my mom fell backwards on a tennis court and suffered a minor concussion. When I got home from vacation my mom was still in pain from the impact. She decided to go to the hospital to see why she was still in pain and was told the impact of the collision caused her to find out she had Multiple Sclerosis, which is an autoimmune disease that attacks your central nervous system. I had never heard of this before. At first, I was depressed and had no idea how to cope with it, but as time grew I began to cope by praying, attending charity events, and going to motivational speeches.

I believe everyone has their ways of dealing with things. Once I coped with my mom having M.S. I started looking into things that cause it. No one knows what the cause of M.S. is, but I started looking into symptoms. It was clear from the medical tests that my mom had M.S. for almost 20 years before she was diagnosed, which is one of the main disadvantages of this disease.

My mom had blurred vision, fallen backwards on several occasions and got really sick to the point where she had to go to the hospital. All of these symptoms made sense after she was diagnosed, but at the time of them happening had no idea. I believe if she didn’t fall down on the tennis courts she would not know she has M.S. The fall triggered something in her brain to make her body start to experience fatigue, limping, and blurred vision.

Seeing my mom go through struggles since her diagnosis was hard for me, but I realized I couldn’t look at it as a negative experience. Instead, I started to be more positive and faithful. It actually helped my mom cope with her disease seeing me happier. Tragic things happen to every family, but I believe that if a family didn’t go through certain events that were hard on them it wouldn’t be part of life’s cycle.