Taking Stock

Jeremy - Tennessee

Taking Stock

Two years ago on a rainy day in June tragedy struck my family. My uncle ate his dinner with his wife and his kids like he always does, no matter what may be going on in his life. Afterward he opened his father’s day gifts and even though they where modest gifts he made a big deal over them as if they where priceless treasures. After thanking everybody he settled down on his couch to watch TV with his family when suddenly he pitched forward in pain and started to spasm. At five thirty the phone at my home rang and I saw something that completely unnerved me to the core. The look that on my moms’ face was one I have never seen before. This was a woman who I have seen face down death with a straight face, but now it had gone white and slacked jawed. After a few moments of stunned silence we headed straight for my grandmothers’ house who is about as emotionally stable as a house of cards under normal conditions much less during emergencies. We stayed there all night keeping her together, waiting on updates from my cousin who had gone to the hospital with her parents. Around eight o’clock at night we got a call from the hospital the doctors said that it was a massive hemorrhage and odds where he wouldn’t live past the twelve-hour mark. When he passed that they said that he had a five percent chance of making it three days. When he made that mark they threw out their statistics. They all told him that he should be dead right now and that the very fact that he wasn’t was nothing short of a miracle. The entire time between that evening and the day he was released from the hospital I took a long hard look at my own life. I examined all the things I thought was important in life and wound up tossing them out the window and started from scratch.

I believe that most people get too wound up in personal gain that we loose perspective of what really matters in life. I’m not saying that wanting to better yourself is wrong but it is wrong when everything else gets pushed back because of it. What I think people should do is sit down and think back on their happiest memories and really think about what made this moment truly special to them. Was it really the new bike or was it the time spent with a parent learning how to ride it. Was it really the food at the diner or food court that made it special or the time spent with friends. Then they should come up with a list of new priorities because let me tell you something about materialistic wealth. One day that new car is going to break down one day and that high paying possession you worked so hard to get will be given to another young punk the day after you retire. So if these are the foundations on which you build you’re life then they will not last long after you have passed. Now if my uncle would have passed he would have left behind a loving family and a ton of friends who would have kept his memory alive through stories and photo graphs shared to there children and there children. That’s why I think a person’s wealth shouldn’t be measured by the size of their house or bank account but by the way they affect the lives of the people around them this I believe.