Michael - Houston, Texas

As an 18 year-old male freshman at the University of Houston, many things might be insinuated and implied based on my title. People, older people, believe that I am too young to know what I want in life and that with time I will be much wiser and have a better acknowledgement of who I am. That might be true to a certain extent but I think that regardless of my age, I am convinced of what I want to be and of who I am.

I believe that through experience I will have the wisdom I want. I have not experienced everything in the world but I have experienced enough to know who I am and know how I want to live my life. My life is filled with outgoing actions and I hardly have any regrets. In order for me to be happy with my life I have to live it and love what I do. In order for me to do that I have to take risks.

One of the most memorable memories I have that apply to taking risks is one from when I was in high school. I love being active and I love playing sports. I was on the varsity basketball team. It was early in the season of my senior year. I gave it my all at every game though because I knew that it was my last year and when the season was over there would be no more high school basketball. One game was unique and unlike the rest because of the actions I took. I always liked running the play and making things happen from there. My coach was strict on me and always wanted me to run the play. It was late in the fourth quarter, the other team had possession, and we were down by two points. The turning point was when my teammate stole the ball. He passed it to me. I dribbled up court. Crossed over my defender. Pulled up for the three. I just watched it float away as the timer went off. I hit the shot and we won the game. I went against everything my coach taught me but I had too if we wanted to win the game.

That game showed me a lot. It wasn’t just a game. It was something I can look at and apply it to my life. I took a risk that night. We won. I could have missed the shot, we could have lost. But we didn’t because I took that risk. In life if I’m too scared to try something I’ll always wonder what could have happened. I rather fail at something because I risked it all rather than not risk anything and not get anything either. This I believe.