Just Be Yourself

DonTia - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Just be Yourself

Trying to be like others will get you nowhere in life. I believe that everyone should have their own way of dressing, talking, walking, living, and etc. People shouldn’t be followers. People should have their own style.

I had this friend name Brittany that I was very close. One day she met a girl named Jasmine. They instantly became the best of friends. Brittany suddenly started acting different.

Soon Brittany started to smoke, drink, and have sex like Jasmine. She admitted to me that she actually really didn’t like doing all of this. She only did it because Jasmine was doing it. I told her that if she didn’t like doing all of these things that she shouldn’t. I told her that friends don’t have to be exactly alike. You shouldn’t do what you don’t want to do just to please someone.

One day no one could find Jasmine. Her mother looked for her everywhere. The next day we went to school. It was about 7:45 when the announcements came on. The principle said that Jasmine’s body was found around the corner from the club that she had went to. They found her with five bullets to the chest and one in the arm. Tears began to come in everyone’s eyes. Brittany looked at me and shook her head and burst out in tears. She couldn’t control herself. She then said she was happy that she wasn’t with Jasmine, but she was so sad that Jasmine was gone. I truly believe that if she was with Jasmine she wouldn’t be alive today.

I believe people shouldn’t be like others to try to fit in, or just to be someone’s friend. People shouldn’t let their peers force them to do something that they don’t want to do. People are often forced to try to be like others a lot. Trying to be like others can sometimes put you in a bad and life threatening situation.

If one of your neighbors buys a car you don’t have to go out and try to buy a bigger and better car than what they have. Doing this might put you in debt because you spent money that you needed. If you and your friends are in college, and you all party a lot you could eventually get behind on your work. You could eventually fail and possibly get kicked out of college.

Just a small mistake can mess up your whole life. This is why I believe people should just be themselves. The situation with my friend has had a major effect on me. It has taught me to be my own person, and never try to be like someone to please them.This is what I believe.