I Believe in Family

Leslie - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe in family. Families can make or break a person. I believe in family because they are the glue that holds my life together. My family members are my teachers, therapists, and my best friends. My family is best at listening and giving advice. My family catches me when I fall and they are my crutches when I need help standing on my own again. My family supports me and helps me stand tall when no one else cares. My family helps me through the worst of times and manages to find good in every situation.

My family has saved my life. There was a phase I went through that I am not proud of but if my family had not found out, I wouldn’t be here. It started with my family moving every three years due to my father’s career. Each move hurt worst than the last. Being uprooted and torn away from friends, family, and relationships, was more than I could take. The depression wasn’t so bad at first but then something happened. After a certain point I couldn’t feel any emotion. I was a zombie going through everyday activities. I stopped going home as much and I barely talked to anyone. It took two weeks for my family to notice how different I had become and the worst was yet to come. I began to cut myself to feel, not because I wanted to end my life, but because I wanted to feel something.

My family being as concerned as they were sat me down. While this talk was helpful it, wasn’t enough. They started me in therapy while talking to me frequently at home. They started asking me to be home more often so we could do family things. This not only helped me but help our family become closer. They picked me up from being broken and glued the pieces back together. When school became too much, they would let me stay home and help. Despite the fact that I missed a lot of school, I feel it was important. When I was allowed to miss school, my family would take me out and just show me how much fun life is. We did things such as rent movies and go out to lunch. All of this was very helpful because it wasn’t just lunch it was spending time with the people who care the most about me. This “phase” lasted almost two months and I’m glad it happened. I know it sounds odd but if this event had never taken place in my life my family and I wouldn’t be where we are today.

I believe in family. I believe in all families, big or small, broken or whole, because they can make or break a person. They are the glue that holds a persons life together. Families are the unpaid therapists, tutors, best friends and nurses. I believe in family and all the blessings that come with them.