Systematic Chaos in the Sounds of Silence

Thomas - Kansas City, Missouri

I’m the only male cheerleader at my school, and in my school district. Every day I get asked one question, the same question, “Are you gay?” The answer is always the same, “I’m not.” It doesn’t bother me any more. I’m jaded when it comes to it. The whole stereotype disrupts every single part of my body. Yes, there are some male cheerleaders that really are gay. There are some that aren’t as well. I support every male cheerleader, and I feel that everyone should as they are doing what they want to do, controlling their life, and not letting society stereotype them into being something they may not be.

Cheerleading in itself is a very dangerous sport, but nobody notices until they really see it happen. Everyone can see the school’s football star, in his senior year, having his career ended by dislocating every bone in his foot, but nobody sees the girls that break their neck and end up paralyzed, or even dead. Any guy can try out for football and sit on the bench all season, but it takes desire, and a slight bit of rebellion to stand in front of your whole school and hold a girl in your hands by only her feet.

I like to see diversity in my high school; it shows adaptability and flexibility to accept one’s heritage as if it were your own. Seeing women wrestle and play football with guys is something that differs from what you would see at other schools in my district. In the same fashion, when I see people tumble down the hallways, I see the discipline and dedication it took to get them there, to have the ability to show it in front of their friends.

For a sport originated by males at Princeton and the University of Minnesota, there aren’t that many around any more to carry on the legacy of a few good college men that started the whole sport. I believe that more men should have the power to stand up for what they believe in, not what everyone else believes so harshly against.