I Believe in Santa Claus

Artemis - Chesapeake, Virginia
Themes: legacy

I believe in Santa Claus. No, I do not believe that there is a man dressed in red delivering presents down chimneys and filling stockings. I believe in what he represents.

I was raised to believe in Santa Claus. Every December I would write my Christmas list, make cookies for Santa, and leave food for the reindeer. Santa Claus was an important part of my Christmas.

One December day my view of Santa Claus changed. I was sitting around the lunch table with the rest of my third grade class, and was talking about how I could not wait for Santa to come. Then, a fellow classmate said that Santa Claus was made up. He told me that my parents had been writing Santa’s name on presents that they had bought me. I told the boy that Santa had to exist because I had been mailing him letters every year since I could write. He then asked how someone could travel around the world in one night, and how it was possible for reindeer to fly. It made me think that maybe Santa really did not exist. I came home crying and confronted my mom. She told me that while there was not an actual man named Santa Claus, he represented the symbol of faith and hope. She said that he showed children the importance of kindness and the magic of giving. At the time, I did not comprehend what she was telling me and was completely devastated. It was not until I was older that I realized the significance of what she had said.

It had been a rough year for my family, and my mother was worried that she could not afford to buy Christmas presents. I told her that Christmas was not about the presents, and that it would be fine if my brother and I did not receive anything. To my surprise, Christmas morning there were presents under the tree. I was confused and did not really understand what was going on. After opening our gifts, my mom told us that the presents were donated from a local doctor’s office to help a family in need. In that instant, the meaning of Santa Claus became clear to me.

The employees of the office had portrayed the qualities of Santa Claus. They had opened their hearts and had partaken in the magic of giving. They gave my family hope that we could make it through any struggle as long as we have faith. My family had one of the best Christmases that year because we discovered the true meaning of Christmas.

I believe that there is a Santa Claus in every one of us. As people grow older, they tend to lose their belief in the man from the North Pole, but I think we should never forget what he represents. He is a symbol of kindness, faith, and hope for so many; it is up to us to let him live on forever.