I Believe in Being Alone

Molly - Portland, Oregon

I believe that friends should not always be with you. You might think I am some lonely toad who hates people but I’m not. I have lots of friends, but what sets me apart from most people is that I don’t like to be with my friends, or anyone else, constantly throughout the week. In order to live a healthy life I think we need to go without our friends sometimes.

Some people I know spend the entire day hanging out or talking to people. Certain individuals have that kind of personality. Take my brother, a social butterfly, for example—every weekend he has someone over to spend the night or he goes over to someone else’s house. If he can’t have anyone over he plays video games with them through Xbox live. I on the other hand, prefer not to have someone over every weekend because I can’t stand company for hours on end. Although some people would die if they couldn’t be with their friends, but still I think everyone needs to take a break once in a while. I can go months without having anyone over, and others can only wait days. The idea is the same that we need a rest.

If one spends the entire day with someone chatting in school halls, in every class, during lunch, texting, and then they hang out with them after school for an entire year, sooner or later you will get tired of each other. Even worse, you might get into a terrible argument and never speak to each other again. I believe in hanging out less and keeping friends forever. I appreciate that I don’t have to always be with someone for them to still like me. A true friend will always be with you when you need them even if they are across the world. But if you’re the kind of person who attaches, and clings to someone else for everything, then get a life.

I believe that you don’t need to hug someone ten times a day for them to understand you’re their friend. If a person is that insecure then maybe you should reevaluate your relationship. To be so independent of one friend or cliché is to condemn yourself, because sooner or later those “friends” aren’t going to be there. When that happens, you won’t know how to live by yourself. There are millions of other things you can do to take a respite from the almost never ending friend brigade. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as you get refreshing alone time.

Some people reading this, might think I’m a cold unfeeling little girl, but I have reason for my madness. I believe that once you become dependent on certain friends, and become like them, you hurt other people. Trust me, I know. The other people that you made friends with, who care more than the others are left out. They might be unpopular geeks, at least they have a heart, but you ignore it. You wave them aside just so you can feel better-off. One might think that has nothing to do with taking a break from people, but it does. When you get away from human contact you can better evaluate what kind of “friends” you have, and if they’re worth keeping in your life. That is what I believe in. Even if most don’t agree with what I’ve said, I believe it is true. I believe in being your own self and not your friends’ shadow.