I Believe in Superstitions

Jacob - Hampton, Virginia
Themes: sports

As I stand crouched on the soft clay the light wind sweeps across the field. I feel the comfortable white athletic tape constricting against my wrist; with the tape I feel confident that I can accomplish anything. It is a well known fact that baseball players run abound of many superstitions in their careers, but few outsiders see the fact that those superstitions actually mean something. So being a former baseball player myself, I cannot help but think that superstitions actually work.

I started my baseball career at a very young age; therefore I was very impressionable when it came to the plethora of sports related superstitions that came my way. As time went by, superstitions became natural. By the time I hit the end of my playing career I had more superstitions piled up than a voodoo witch doctor. It only seemed natural that if superstitions worked for me in the baseball world that they could transfer to the real world. In day to day life, like they did in baseball, superstitions give me something to hope for, as well as comfort in knowing that everything had a reason for happening.

Over the progress of my sports career I learned more superstitions than anyone would care to know about, but it wasn’t the specific superstitions that stuck, just the idea of them altogether. Every day I live with some superstition determining the future, some have a logical basis, but many don’t. I don’t tape my wrist anymore but I’ve found ways to try and make good luck come my way. I have lucky belts, shirts, shoes, and even a lucky radio station. These rituals and habits may seem to have no effect on any event in my life, but I am a believer and I will continue to search for new ways to perfect the ultimate day.

Nearly every person on the planet takes heed of superstitions every day, whether from a broken mirror or a strolling black cat. Why then is it that people see those who claim to be superstitious with an air of insanity, is it not the nature of people to believe in the unbelievable? To view it from an analytical perspective it seems like all that superstitions really do is give comfort and confidence to the superstitious, but doesn’t that help to be successful, and therefore work?

I still get curious looks from people when I tell them I am a firm believer in superstitions. Many see me as a logical person and don’t see how some random string of numbers can spell out a great repercussion in the near future. However I don’t find it weird, superstitions have become a familiar occurrence for me and they really seem to help. Sure I may have picked up a few nervous habits along the way, but I feel confident knowing that if my trip odometer reads 7777 then something awesome will happen today. Superstitions work, and this I believe.