Never, Ever Give Up

Tara - Smithfield, Virginia

I believe in my mom. She has taught me all that I need to know to succeed in life, and to become the best that I can be. A couple years ago, my mom had come home from a long day at work and said she had a little gift for me. She handed me a small plaque that said, “Never, Ever Give Up.” She said that seeing it made her think of me and to live by that saying for the rest of my life.

At birth, I was given a gift of life. I can use thisiu gift however I want by either wasting it or making the best of it. My mom has shown me that no matter what happens throughout my life, it will get better. My parents have recently divorced and after the divorce my mom and I became best friends. She was going through a really tough time in life, but I watched her get through it. One afternoon just a couple months after my dad moved out I had come home from school to find my mom home early from work. I walked inside and she was crying on the couch. I didn’t have to ask her was wrong because I already knew. I went over to her sat down and said, “Mom, I don’t know how you feel right now because I haven’t experienced it but I can tell you to never, ever give up.”

Living life to the fullest is important to me because I can do anything put my mind to. My mom has taught me the importance of making myself happy first and foremost. It was a tough time getting through her divorce but she made it and I look up to the confidence and independence she has gained. My mom did not let the divorce ruin her life; instead, she let it make her a better person. She kept her hopes up and didn’t waste time on what was in the past.

I want to make my life the best it can be. I make big goals for myself because I know that I can accomplish them with hard work and dedication. My life is what I make it. Just like it was up to my to either let the divorce ruin her life or make the best of what is it, I can get up and live my life happily and remember all the good things that has made me into the person I am today. If my mom can get through a divorce of a marriage that took up half her life, I can get through anything that life throws at me.