The Importance of Friendship

Tremaanity - Gloucester, Virginia

I believe in the importance of friendship. I agree with whoever said you need at least one true friend in your life. I have been fortunate to have many good friends who love and care for me. It is my best friend though who has been there through everything and will continue to be my closest friend.

Friends are just good a thing to have. They bring laughter and support, they listen and give advice, and they tell you what you do not want to hear. True friends are honest and really care about your well being. My best friend and I have been best friends since the second grade. For eleven years our friendship has continued to grow and become stronger. Even with the distance that college has put between us, we still share that special bond. She is the one person that knows me best. From the good and the bad, the crazy and the crazier, she has and will always be there.

Our friendship did not get off to a very good start. When our second grade year began we did not know or like each other. I thought she was a teacher’s pet, and she thought that I was a snob. We both remember that at some point during those first few weeks of school that our kindness brought us together. She shared peaches with me at lunch, and I saved her life at recess. Now these events might seem silly, but they were the start our longtime friendship. We can look back and laugh about all the funny things we did in elementary, middle, and now high school.

Chelsea and I have been through so many things together. But through the good and the bad our friendship seems to be based on laughter. We have so much fun together, with such little effort. You cannot put us in a room together for more than a few minutes and not hear us laughing. A word will correlate to a picture, a picture will relate to an event, and the event will remind us of a crazy story that happened as a result. Our stories are endless and always bring back good memories.

I feel like friendship is at its greatest when you feel like family. I know I am welcome in the Jackson home whether Chelsea is there or not. There I have two extra sisters, and a mother that accept me as their own. We go shopping, to see movies, and out to dinner together. This friendship has not only given me a best friend, but an additional family as well.

I can only hope that everyone could have the kind of friendship that Chelsea and I share. I know that we will always be there for each other. Our relationship is of extreme importance to me, and is one that I will always cherish. We are and will continue to be best friends for life.