Renewal through Self-Motivation

Alexander - Tallahassee, Florida

I believe in self motivation. This nation, from its conception, has been built upon the self-made man and his ability to produce and be successful. America’s founders were motivated people that worked hard and depended on themselves, and that character created prosperity. I fear that we are losing that American spirit today. In our country, many have lost their will power and have come to depend on the government. Work ethic has lowered, and instead of chasing the traditional American Dream, much of the population is not chasing anything at all.

In the place of the well motivated self-starters, a group of dependent loafers is growing. More and more, citizens are indifferent and apathetic, totally unconcerned with their individual well-being, let alone the well-being of our country. The presence of motivation, energy, and intuition is diminishing. The desire to make something of one’s self and the drive to achieve goals is seen less and less in society. Our industry and education suffers as there is a loss of self-discipline in all aspects of life. The decrease of the motivated population segment means less development of ideas, prosperity, and affluence for the nation. They sit and wait for support from the government, when they should just show some effort and support themselves.

We cannot restore America’s excellence from the top down. The individual’s drive to succeed is what makes this country great, just as it did at its birth. I applaud those who strive to do everything to the best of their abilities, who want prosperity for themselves and their neighbors, who are still determined to go the extra mile just because it shows strength of character. They are the ones who demonstrate true patriotism and merit. Others would do best to follow their example. If every citizen today were involved in a group project, the overwhelming majority would choose to just sit and wait for someone else to take the lead and do the work for them. Instead, everyone should take responsibility and work hard to make this nation a standard which others aspire to achieve.

In all honesty, this loss of American spirit has resulted in the erosion of the patriotism, unity, and character that stands behind the nation. The public is not achieving at the individual level, a requirement for building and maintaining a growing nation such as the United States. As a result, America has slipped, and no longer remains a nation of the highest quality. Self-motivation to work hard and maintain one’s moral values is the only method that will enable us to rise out of mediocrity and once again recover the strength and character that has defined America.