The Power of Laughter

Jessica - Marshall, Texas

My belief is something most people wouldn’t even consider something to believe in. I don’t care though. Laughter is one of my best friends and I believe in it wholeheartedly. It breaths joy into my life every day.

You see, I believe in the power of laughter. And I don’t mean giggles or short superficial laughs. I believe in the real power of a deep, uncontrollable laughs that seem to burst right from the soul.

I love laughing. I laugh the most with my family and we laugh a lot. My family eats dinner together every night. When we all sit down, it’s a matter of minutes before everyone at the table is laughing hysterically. By the time I finish eating I have been laughing so hard that tears are steaming down my face and my chest is heaving from trying to catch my breath. It happens so often that it’s almost a tradition now. I don’t know how this got started but I know that it has brought my family a lot closer to each other than most families I know and for that I am grateful.

I also laugh with my best buds. It’s almost all we do. It’s amazing that even when one of us is in a sucky mood we can just hangout and laugh together and everything seems okay. We have so many random inside jokes that it’s like we are speaking a different language when we are around other people. And the most hilarious time is when we have sleepovers and we are trying to go to sleep at three in the morning. I will be laying down, almost asleep, when out of nowhere I hear someone whisper “Planet Unicorn Heeeeyyyyy” and we all bust out laughing. It is truly amazing.

Arnold H. Glasgow once said, “Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects.” I believe in this statement no more than ever. When I am so angry that I feel like hitting someone, or when I’m so stressed out and depressed that I feel like curling up in a ball and never moving again, or even when I’m nervous, laughter always makes it better. Even if laughter can’t cure whatever my problem is, it gives me a chance to chill out for a few minutes and just forget my problems. Even after a good bout of laughter my head get’s clearer and I feel better about my problem.

No matter what I’m laughing at or who I’m laughing with, laughter is without a doubt one of the most incredible things in the world. It is a beloved tradition in my family now that I will carry on into my future.

As I sit here at my desk chugging Dr. Peppers to stay awake, listening to Pierce Brosnan singing a cheesy romantic love song from Mamma Mia, and trying to finish my paper, I have a sudden urge to have a good laugh.