Epiphany

Nyawargak - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe that there is good in everyone, whether it appears that way or not. Yes, we all see them, the ones who always have that “mean” or “angry” expression that seems to be stuck on their face? The ones who everyone wants to ask, “What’s wrong?” but are too afraid to approach him or her because of the constant fear of being growled at. I was the exact same way when I was younger. Almost all the other kids were afraid to even look my way. I used to be the most “evil” child on the face of God’s green earth. I would not help anybody; I was mean to all my classmates, and very inconsiderate of other people’s feelings.

It all started at recess. There was a group of us playing foursquare for a while, until I became bored and decided to get myself out on purpose. I was heading to the swings at first but I felt thirst. I was quenching my thirst with a drink from the water fountain when a friend of mine that was on the monkey bars fell off. She started crying and I was the closest person near her and I heard her cry for help. I ignored her at first, hoping she would catch the attention of one of the teachers nearby, but she didn’t. That was when she saw me and asked for my help, but like the mean child I was back then, I just scoffed and continued heading to my destination, the swings. Recess was over and the teacher wanted to talk to me, before we began class again, about my inconsideration. She read me the “one act of kindness” speech and also asked if I would want my friend to help me if I needed help, and of course I said yes.

That was when I realized how much of a mean person I was and so ever since then I have changed the error of my ways. When there is a person in need, I try my best to lend a helping hand. I guess my parents’ and teachers’ constant reminder about how a random act of kindness can have a lasting effect really sunk in.