The Greatness of Motherly Love

Sung - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

When I heard the theme of essay four weeks ago, it reminded me of one person, “My mother.”

I believe in the greatness of the motherly love.

In the book, Art of Loving, Erich Framn says that motherly love is an unconditional love which is only given by God and parents. Mothers suppose that their babies are a part of their own body because mothers and their babies spend 10 months together in her body and give birth. Therefore, mothers have a strong feeling of taking good care of their babies. A few days ago, I saw one photo on the Internet news. Although it was a really sad story, I felt a strong motherly love. The great earthquake occurred at Sichuan, China on May 12th. After an awful accident, the rescue party found two dead bodies, a mom and little daughter. There was the appearance that the mom was protecting and hugging her daughter while holding the chopstick. I thought that the earthquake happened when they had a meal together, so mom wanted to save her daughter. Although this was a really tragic accident, I saw the power of motherly love.

My mom gave me lots of love. Since my childhood, I have spent lots of time with my mom. I started to play the piano when I was four years old. In my country, Korea, parents generally wanted their children to learn the one musical instrument. Actually at that time, I chose the piano without any thinking. When I was in the elementary school, I participated in the competition by chance. Someone who listened to my performance carefully told my mom that her daughter needed to specialize in the piano because she had talent. My mom was looking for the best teacher for me, so I received the best training. My mom and I always went to the every lesson once a week together, and listened to my music in detail. She helped and advised me when I was practicing the piano at home. Since the piano performance was my major, I took part in so many contests. Before the playing, I always suffered from the stress that if I made a mistake in middle of the performance, I would ruin my playing. At that time, my mom encouraged me and told me, “My lovely daughter, you can do it; everyone loves your playing; don’t be strained, and I’m always with you.” After I heard her voice, my tense feeling lifted a bit. At that time, my mom was very busy because she managed an educational institute. Even though mom did not have enough time, she surely attended all performances of mine.

As the results of the big support of my mom, I graduated with a B.A in piano performance from the Seoul National University, the first-ranked university in Korea. However, I got into a slump after in 2002. I could not play the piano; not even one note, so I stopped playing. I was really frustrated, and I did not know what to do. Whenever I am suffering and tired, my mom always makes a hot honey tea. It has a very sweet and mellow taste, so this is my comfort tea. At that time, my mom wanted to soothe my anguish and said that, “It’s ok, and it’s going to be fine. When you feel it in your heart that you want to really, really play the piano, you will do it.” After 6 years, I got married and came here in the Milwaukee, USA. Now I really want to play the piano, and I am enrolled at the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. When the UWM professor listened to my first performance, she said that I learned from good teachers, and I am gifted with talent. I was really joyous and I sincerely thank my mom again.

Since I shared a lot of time and conversations with mom, now she is my best friend and the best mentor of my life. I am the happiest human in the world because I could have such kind of great motherly love from my mom.