I Believe in Underwater Robots

David - Williamsburg, Virginia

I’m not one for being outspoken about my opinions and beliefs, but I’m gradually growing used to saying what I want to say. I mean, who am I, if I don’t make a statement about who I am, and what views define me and my behavior? Individuality is something that only pops up when I make definitive statements and actions, and having neither doesn’t really tell others who I am. If I can’t express myself plainly and to the greatest extent, then I don’t stick out. I’ll be frustrated, because I can’t let my thoughts find any corporeal form. I can’t get anything worthwhile out of my actions, because I’m not making any actions of significance to judge their worth.

Creativity is, for me, paramount. It is the ultimate form of expression, since it is a product of my thoughts, sweat, and tears. As a Mechanical Engineering major, creativity is not just an artsy metaphor; it is quite possibly the only way I can reach my goals. If I fail to be creative in my designs and work, then I will never be recognized and I can’t be successful. I won’t make money because I don’t do anything to express myself or stand out. On the other hand, if my work is creative, then I can fulfill all my goals.

My junior year of high school got me started on the path to engineering; a number of courses were offered, through and alongside a program called, “Project Lead The Way”, with the focus of each class on technology and pre-engineering skills. Though I enjoyed the classes greatly, it wasn’t until my teacher involved the class in a competition, which involved the design of submersible robots, that my interest was truly perked. The Remotely Operated Vehicle Competition, sponsored by the Marine Advanced Technology Education Center, was a fresh experience for me, and I found plenty of opportunity to exercise innovation, and putting my ideas to test. My school’s team never won, but we learned more from our failures than we did from success. It was great just being there, being involved in everything around me. My behavior could no less than be described as “manic”, with hyperactive and epiphanous senses. I never felt better in my life. (might be a better ending sentence)

It is my belief that an individual is the sum of his or her goals, actions, and experiences. I am certain that the act of creation is what keeps me going. When I express myself in this way, I feel clearheaded, motivated, and just plain happy. There is no reason I shouldn’t keep pursuing this feeling, and I intend to keep doing so as much as I can.