The Most Important Piece

Nicholas - Chesapeake, Virginia

I believe that family is the most important piece of a person’s life. It’s made up of the people you trust, the ones that you love, and those that push you to be better.

In my experience I was pushed by my mother, father, brother, and all six best friends to become an Eagle Scout. This was a nearly impossible feat to be accomplished. I had been four months from turning eighteen with only a quarter of my requirements for the rank completed. I knew I needed nothing short of a miracle to have even a shot.

When I started finishing up my Eagle Project requirements I quickly learned that I wasn’t going to get a break anywhere. The project I chose in the Chesapeake Arboretum for community service was a difficult task and needed a large amount of planning and money to complete. Problem was that this task was compounded by my school work and need to finish my other requirements. Just a few days into my planning it became highly apparent I was going to need a lot of help and fast. So I turned to my family and friends to help me in any way they could. With this small request I received more help then was imaginable.

While I was writing the project they were working on tasks I would have to do after the write up. Half of them had collected money from mutual friends and their parents while the other half went to construction and lawn businesses to get me over $2,000 worth of donations for my project. The donations alone knocked out more than ¾ of my projects cost and allowed me to focus on carrying out the project now instead of worrying where I was going to get the money to do so. Then my project was hit by a fatal blow. My projects carry out date had been planned over Thanksgiving weekend.

Knowing when it was now, I could only hope that of everyone who was asked to attend, at least an eighth would show up. Then my one great miracle occurred. The day of my project I found out that my friends and their families had stayed in town during the holiday so that they could help me with my project. This helped me greatly and all the extra help took a3 day 15 man operation into a 26 man 8 hour operation. When the project was done I quickly focused on my final requirements and knocked them out all within a few days.

Two weeks later when I submitted my application to be considered for Eagle rank I had beaten my birthday deadline by 5 days. I undertook my Eagle Board of Review a few weeks later and passed flawlessly. Everything that came out of and that was put into this by my family and friends helped me to achieve something that I would never have been able to do alone.