Color Blind

Stacie - richmond, Virginia
Themes: love, race

My name is Stacie. I am a 18 year old white female. I attend Old Dominion University; my intended major is Elementary Education. I have been talking to this one boy for about three months. I really like him. He’s smart, he’s good looking, he’s in school and is majoring in physical therapy, he has a car, and he treats me better than any boy I have ever been with. His name is Brett. I call him BJ. He is a black boy. This is an ‘insider’s view’ of a teenaged white girl who believes in interracial relationships.

I believe that it is imperative for the human race to learn how to coexist with those around us in order to better our relationships and to better our nation in general. I believe that the American population has already surpassed great lengths pertaining to the segregation and integration of blacks and whites. Blacks and whites went from not even being able to be seen with each other to being integrated. This revolution was a slow process– just as the process that the acceptance of interracial relationships is undergoing. Interracial marriage was not always legal. Previous to 1967, laws were passed that banned the marriage of different races. After the Supreme Court case, Loving versus Virginia the laws were overturned, and interracial marriages became legal, but still not approved by the majority of society. In 1970 there had been 65,000 marriages between blacks and whites. A survey conducted in 2005 reported that there had been 422,000 interracial marriages in the United States. I believe that everybody should be able to live the life they choose without having to deal with strangers on the street looking at them and throwing disapproving glares and stares.

BJ and I love going out to eat; not to necessarily nice places but just going out together. Our favorite place to eat is Wendy’s. Walking in and smelling the hamburgers and chicken nuggets and hearing the commotion of people placing orders, and cashiers taking money is just a perfect ‘date’ for him and I. We love to watch the people walk in and out, just laughing the time away. Although it has happened numerous times, this one predicament keeps occuring– but this one particular time stands out to me. We were walking to go sit down and eat our Number 9’s with sweet tea at Wendy’s. There were five white elderly women nearby the table we had spotted. While we were walking, the women were staring and batting their wrinkley eyes at us– clearly disapproving our relationship. We kept walking. While doing so, we passed a middle aged black couple who smiled at us and nodded their heads at us. BJ noticed it as well as I did, but we just continued with out time spent eating that delicious food. But I had questioned it and I still question it… why does our interracial relationship seemingly disgust the white race, but just seems to be another ordinary couple to the black race?

Another time we were in McDonald’s. As we were walking to the cashier to order our food a white married couple and their three young kids slightly glanced at us. We got our food to-go, and as we were walking out the door, we passed the family again. However, this time, they were not glancing; they were staring with such disapproval. BJ and I discussed how rude it was for them to stare at us. It was quite upsetting to be glared at like that especially by people who don’t even know him or I. Everytime something like this happens, the moment prior to us passing the person or people staring at us we make sure that, if we’re not already doing it, that our hands are interlaced with eachothers and as we walk by we smile at them in the most polite yet rudest way– just to prove the point that we are happy together and we don’t care who sees.

I believe in interracial relationships. Despite the spectators giving us awkward stares and looks that simply belittle us and our choices, my preferences have not and will not change. I have encountered many white people who have clearly disapproved of interracial relationships and have made negative and offending remarks towards me and the boy I was accompanied by. I believe in a world of people tha doesn’t judge solely on outward apperances buy rather accepts people for who they are no matter their preferences or beliefs. I have concluded that females and males actually in an interracial relationship don’t necessarily need the approval of their relationship from society but would like to have the acceptance.

When I see an interracial couple, especially an elderly couple, I can’t help but to smile. I can’t help but to smile because it makes me feel good to witness a love that made it through the times of racism, segrgation, and everything associated with blacks and whites and the relationships, or lack there of, between the two races . Being in an interracial couple says a lot about a person. In a way, the male and female involved can be described as being rebellious. The couple clearly is not concerned with what people are thinking about them. If I am with somebody that makes me happy– why be worried about what the next man is saying? I like being my own person and doing what satisfied me and my personal needs. That’s what I believe in.

Although we have made great advancements when it comes to blacks and whites being unified, the majority of our society doesn’t agree with interracial relationships. In knowing this and being in an interracial relationship, all the while disreguarding everybody elses disapproving opinions says that you are your own person and strong because of that. I beleve in encouraging change and discouraging judgements and stereotypes. I am a strong teenaged girl who just wants to be happy with a boy on her arm in a world with no stereotypes or judgements.

I have a dream that one day black males will be able to be with white females, just as well as white males will be able to be with black females without being judged or looked down upon.