Persevering through the Unexpected

Morgan - Richmond, Virginia

Persevering through the Unexpected

We all are terrified of the unexpected. Not sure what to do when something suddenly comes up and we just sit there and say, what now? Being a single mom, not getting into college, dropping out of school, or losing a loved one are never easy. We have all had moments that seem impossible to get through. I’ve learned that there is a way. By working through the hardships, there will be a reward. Learning about one’s strengths and weaknesses is a powerful achievement that will carry on throughout life.

Everyone has challenges. They may hinder our lives, but using support and finding your strengths, motivation, and positive thoughts are keys to perseverance. By working through two sudden and traumatic soccer injuries, I learned what I was truly capable of. I could not give up because that would not get me anywhere I wanted to be. Family, friends, and my faith gave me confidence to feel I had the strength to get back on the field after I suffered devastating ACL tears in both of my knees. Turning towards support, may it be faith, organizations, friends, family, and/or your community, gives opportunities to interact with others for help, advice, and just someone to talk to.

Even if people feel they want to give up, there is something inside to keep them going. My surgery and physical therapy felt never ending, and it was especially dreadful to go through it twice. I was filled with hopelessness, and wanted so badly to give up. As my family laid in bed with me, bringing popsicles and talking to me, they comforted and motivated me. When I understood that feeling helpless does not improve the situation, I took the first step on the road towards perseverance.

I knew I would be able to push through the difficulties, and I strived to get back on that field. I worked diligently to try and live a typical, satisfying life because I felt it would encourage me to persevere and work towards my goals. Jogging onto the field at the start of my first game since my injuries, with my parents proudly watching in the stands, helped me love and appreciate soccer even more. While the tough times may feel overwhelming, visualizing one’s future goals helps motivate you towards these aspirations. During the pain of physical therapy, I often felt like giving up, but vivid pictures in my mind of striking the ball into the back of the net helped me accomplish my goal of being on the soccer field playing with my teammates.

There was no way I was going to let go of my passion. Working through the aches and pains lead to a reward for my determination because I was eventually able to continue playing competitively and even play at the college level. Soccer was more than simply an enjoyable hobby; it was a personal commitment which brought me joy and happiness. The injuries taught me to never give up and live my dreams. I believe all people have the potential to persevere and work through the unexpected, leading them to gain many rewards in life.