Nicole - Moyock, North Carolina
Themes: change, family

I believe in relationships. They are the basis of my life. Without relationships, there is no doubt in my mind that I would not be the person I am today. Through my relationships with others, I have been taught to trust and I have learned that change is not always a bad thing.

I believe everyone should have relationships with their parents. Since I was young, I have been able to call both of my parents my friends. But as with any other relationship, things are not always smooth. When I was 13 years old, I found out probably some of the worst news of my life at the time. We were going to move from our home in Virginia Beach to Currituck County, North Carolina, a tiny, barely populated county in North Carolina, just below the state line. Anyone would say that the short 45 minute move would be a piece of cake, but I knew it would mean not being able to start high school with my friends that I had been with the past eight years of my life. Virginia Beach was the longest I had lived anywhere, and I was furious that I had to leave.

I had absolutely no say in the move, and despite the fact I made my feelings very clear, it did not change the fact that my opinion was not solicited. I still loved my parents, but I was so angry that they would even consider putting me through this. We began to fight a lot. I would even say I turned into the cranky teenager that I never thought I would be. I just didn’t trust my parents and believed they were making a huge mistake moving away. Many times I felt as if it was me against the world and that my life just would not go on. The thought of having to live in this place that had no streetlights, no underground sewers, and no mall was terrifying to me. I began to think I was traveling back in time. All of this work people put time into to come up with these simple, yet important inventions, and we were leaving it behind to join the other primitive “country folk.”

A whole summer of fighting with both of my parents passed by, and moving day and the first day of school approached quickly. Walking into a school that I had never been in before with people I had never met was nerve-wracking. I will never forget that feeling of uneasiness I felt that day. But the day passed, and I realized I was ok. Four years later, when graduation came around, I felt that same anxiousness come over me, but this time it was because I was leaving this school I never wanted to encounter in the first place.

Looking back, I realize now how much my parent’s decision helped me. It didn’t really help me at the time, but when it came time for college, I found it was simple to adjust to my surroundings and get along with the people I was with, no matter where they were from. The lesson my parents taught me was that things change. You’re not always going to be in the same place with the same people, but you can adjust without changing who you are. Through this relationship I have learned to trust my parents, they really do know best. I believe in relationships because there is no class on how to live a fulfilling life, but the people in your life can teach you the lessons that you can’t learn in school.