One Big, Happy Family

Megan - Leawood, Kansas

I believe in the importance of family.

There is no shortage of chaos in my house. I am the oldest of six kids, each of us having our own crazy, hectic life. I don’t know life any other way, and I can honestly say there is never a dull moment.

There is no such thing as a quiet nap or alone time at my house. I didn’t even know a house could be calm and peaceful until going over to a friend’s house. It is never ever quiet and the mornings are the worst. My mom has to yell four or five times for my siblings to get out of bed. There is burnt toast and missing socks, disappearing schoolwork and wrinkly uniforms.

There is incessant fighting—over the stupidest of things. On any given day you can hear my little sisters Maggie and Grace fighting over who is the better singer or my brother Jack and my sister Allie arguing over whose turn it is to sit in the back seat of the car.

Though sometimes extremely annoying, my family means everything to me. In between the wild and crazy moments are moments I will never forget. Moments like when my sister, three-years-old at the time, fell asleep while completely naked on top of the dining room table. Or moments like finishing the daily crossword puzzle with my mom. There is never a shortage of love and laughter when it comes to my family.

As much as we complain about sharing rooms and not having enough personal space, I don’t think any of us would change that fact. No one in my family likes to be alone. When someone is spending the night at a friend’s house I always prepare myself for the question I know I am going to be asked—can I sleep in your room? As annoying as it is, I can never say no.

Most teenagers try and spend as little time as possible with their family, but I find myself making excuses to stay home. To me home is a place where I know I can always find a good listener, a good laugh, and a good friend. My family is where I find my strength and support. My family is my best friend.