The Power of Thank You

Rachel - Mahtomedi, Minnesota

When I was in the 8th grade, my New Year’s resolution was to thank each of my teachers after class every day. So every day, I would end class with “Thanks, Mrs. C,” or “Thank you, Mrs. M”. I did not do it so I’d be the teacher’s pet, or because I wanted to be better then my fellow students. I did it because I really was thankful that Mrs. C and Mrs. M took the time to make class fun, while teaching us important lessons. When it came time to pick the Student of the Week, I was chosen. Student of the Week was designed so that nobody knew which teacher nominated you. But through the way of the grapevine, I found out that I had been nominated by my math teacher, simply because I said, thank you after every class. This made me realize the impact it made on my teachers when I thanked them for the hard work that they put into each class period. Sometimes I don’t particularly enjoy a class, but I still say thanks, because I know that my teacher had to work hard to put that class together. Teachers have to explain the lesson so that we can understand it. They have to take the time out of their personal life to prepare a lesson. Whether they want to or not, they may have to come in before school to help a struggling student. Teachers do so much for us students that we don’t give them credit for.

Saying “thank you” doesn’t only apply to school. It applies to work, home, friendships, and every part of daily life. It is a lesson that our parents teach us from a very young age. Unfortunately, how many of us actually stop to think about what we are saying? I believe that when you take the time to say thank you, it has more of an impact than you might think.