Jesse - South Jordan, Utah

How many times do you think people have been in need? Hungry people, homeless people, people in trouble and without hope. I’m not talking about the folks during the present era, but all through history and over all of time? I bet there were a lot, millions, probably even billions. Since I’m not exactly certain of what you call all the zeros a million I’ll leave it at that. But, not long after thinking about these numbers I begin to wonder how and why many of these people got into trouble in the first place, how many of them were helped out of it, and what eventually happened to them. I wouldn’t know what it is like to be without a home, food, clothes, or comforts of some kind, and I believe this is a sign that I should establish, or at least hasten the occurrence of these in other people’s lives. Simply put: I love helping people, I enjoy giving my time to making them feel better in any way that I can, especially if I know they’ve been having a particularly hard time lately. I’ve always been involved in some time of service, since I was younger and volunteered with programs such as the food bank and the special Olympics, I’ve wanted that feeling of accomplishment and self pride that you get helped someone. That is almost an addicting feeling, and anyone that has done device will know it, and never forget it. I’ve also made a lot of friends involved in service activities, and I know I will make many more as long as I continue to serve. I’m sure that all of these feeling to serve derives from the fact that my sister has Down Syndrome, and that I’ve had to help her with all kinds of things since she was little so I’m used to working with people that have disabilities. I can talk about the service and the positive feelings and result that I’ve experienced all day, and the many hours that I’ve spent handing out food or collecting money to homeless families, reading books to children who don’t have a great place to crash at after school, and working to make my community stronger and the people safer. I believe we should help people, for by doing so not only to we help ourselves, we have a wonderful life and unforgettable experiences.