Health Care in America

Paul - Tangier, Virginia

Medical insurance is a wonderful thing. When you get sick or hurt, you can go to the hospital with no worries about paying the expensive bill. Insurance covers most, if not all, of the cost. Break your leg. The bill is covered for the most part. Health insurance is very important in today’s society with everybody getting sick and hurt, but what happens if you don’t have medical insurance?

What happens when a person wakes up sick? The person waits it out, but doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Finally, the person goes to the hospital. Turns out the person has cancer. The person is probably thinking, “Now what? I don’t have any insurance. I can’t afford to pay this.” The patient tells the doctor that they don’t have health insurance. Then the doctor turns the person away to find a different doctor.

What happened to the hypocritical oath doctors swear on when they become a doctor? That they will do whatever they can to help their patient. I believe the doctors should be able to help the patients. Apparently, a lot of people just have sick care. Health care isn’t being turned away. Even if you do have health care, you could lose it, or it could go way up in price if something seriously wrong happens to you. It’s hard to afford health insurance, and it’s even harder to afford after something serious happens. The only reason I have health insurance is because of my step-father’s job that offers it. It’s adequate, and it can’t go up due to illness because of the company. After I’m out of college, it’s over, I need to get my own insurance, but it costs too much money for me to be able to buy right out of college.

Doctors are among one of the highest paid professions in America. I don’t understand why some doctors will turn away patients if they are dying. Isn’t it a doctors’ job to take care of the sick? I think doctors are too greedy for their own good. I mean, doctors are more interested in the quantitative idea with money instead of the quality of their practice. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe there are some good doctors out there.

My friend’s mother had breast cancer, and three doctors turned her away because she didn’t have health insurance. Finally, she found a doctor here in Norfolk, Virginia who took care of her. She was billed monthly and had to pay for the entire bill, but she got help. The payments were hard for some people, but they managed.

As I’ve said before, it’s messed up that not everybody has the same choices as others when it comes to health care insurance. Nobody should be turned away. Nobody should die due to the greedy doctors, who won’t operate because the patients don’t have the insurance. They have more than enough money to complain about.