Everithing happends for a reason

Alexandra - Florida

This I believe …

As a child I remember my mother telling me, “everything happens for a reason,” I hated this because that meant that something had happened and most of the what happened wasn’t necessarily something good. She would always tell me to stop looking for an answer, when I stop looking, the answer would come and would let me understand why that occurred. Of course as I child I didn’t understand the meaning.

Later on in my life, an experience taught me the meaning of what my mother always told me. When I was fifteen years old, my parents got a divorce. Months after, my mother began to get very depressed. To deal with her depression she started taking sleeping pills, this behavior continued for about a week. Once she realized that one pill wasn’t good enough she began to take more and more, and without knowing that it would lead to an overdose. I tried to hide the pills from her, but she would always find the why to get more. At the sixth day I decided that enough was enough! I called my father, who didn’t want to know anything about it and I told him that if he didn’t help her I would leave home. He took her to the hospital, so they could disintoxicate her. In the hospital they told her that is a miracle that she was alive, because her body wouldn’t handle another dose.

If I look back at this experience, I can say that, that particular moment had I huge influence in my way of seeing things now. And I know that what happened to my mother plays such a big role in the person that I am today; a strong person that won’t put her life

wouldn’t handle another dose.

If I look back at this experience, I can say that, that particular moment had a huge influence in my way of seeing things now. And I know that what happened to my mother plays such a big role in the person that I am today: a strong person who won’t put her life

at risk over a problem, no mater how big it might be. Meanwhile, my mother also learned to become the stronger person that I knew and our relationship grew stronger than ever because she saw in me a person she could count on to help with any problems that she had. And instead of taking pills, she looked for relief by talking to me and trying to find a solution together.

Consequently, I now apply this phrase to my everyday life. Because I know if I had not called my father in the moment that I did, my mother would probably not be here right now, and if I had not had this experience, I wouldn’t be so firm in my decision of not taking drugs because I know the consequences it produces. And that’s why I will always believe that, “ everything happens for a reason.”