Friendship

Leah - Mansfield, Ohio

I believe that friendship is one of the most important facets of life and true friends will stay in your life forever. For me to believe this, it must be true because I have always been a shy and somewhat socially awkward person in the presence of those I don’t know well. For that reason, it always amazes me that I have acquired a tight group of friends that seem to fit into my life like pieces of a puzzle, and love me as much as I love them. Of course we bicker like crazy half the time, but really what human beings don’t at one point or another? I just thank God that I have made it to this point in my life and have survived through the good and the bad.

Speaking of the good, one specific memory that sticks out in my mind is the time my best friend Sarah and I were playing out in the snow. I’m not exactly sure how old we were, but we were definitely very young, and apparently very strange, because we were pretending to be different kinds of animals. As we got down on our knees, Sarah decided that she wanted to be a cow. Of course, being the imaginative child that I was, I wanted to be something very different…a camel.

“Mmmmoooooooooo!” Sarah exclaimed, pretending to lean down and eat the snow. She looked at me expectantly to see how I would answer. Finally, after pondering what I should say, I shrugged my shoulders and turned to her.

“Camel!” I yelled in her face and started laughing hysterically. She started giggling too and asked me if I was crazy. I then explained to her that I had no idea what kind of a noise a camel would make and just decided to say camel for the heck of it. We both thought it was the funniest thing in the world, and about every time we saw each other after that day, we would say “Moo. Camel.” to each other. I have no idea why we thought this story was so entertaining, but it is definitely one of my favorite memories of us together and every once in a while we will still whisper it for a laugh. I never want to forget this story and all our little inside jokes and tales that bring a smile to my face when I really need a pick-me-up. After all, isn’t that the reason for a friend in the first place?