In the Now

Anisha - Leawood, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

In the Now

Whether a person dies at 99 or 10, I believe that life is too short to let it slip away without truly living every minute of it.

Last summer, my neighbor John arrived home around eleven one night from playing Guitar Hero at a friend’s house. Like so many nights before he watched TV with his parents before going to bed. Around noon the next day, John’s mom went up to his room to wake him, but she couldn’t because he had died from a heart aneurysm in his sleep. John was only 19.

He was a soccer player blessed with natural brilliance. Everyone thought that without a doubt John would live to be exceedingly successful in whatever he chose to do. He had always been in perfect health, so his death was a shocking nightmare.

John’s death made me realize that I could die tomorrow without any warning. For this, I will forever live as though everyday is my last day. Every minute counts. No longer will I hide my opinions because they are different, I will voice them loudly for everyone to hear. I want to be remembered for who I truly am. I will now take the risks that I was too afraid of before. Whether it’s snowboarding down a mountain or applying to colleges that I’m not sure if I’ll even get into, I want to open up opportunities to make the most out of the time I have. I will no longer leave disputes with bad endings. I will settle my arguments quickly and peacefully so that I maintain the good relationships I have. I will not allow myself to die without fulfilling each minute to its maximum.

All I know is that I have today, and I’m going to make today count for something. My favorite band The Spill Canvas once wrote “Heaven’s not the place that you go when you die. It’s that moment in life where you actually feel alive. So live for the moment.” I believe in feeling alive every moment.