Rule Breakers

Jack - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: injustice

Rule Breakers

How many times have you seen a policeman, weaving in between lanes or flying past you when you are going the speed limit and they don’t have their lights on? If you are like me then you can’t count that high. Some stop you for no reason. Why should I have to be the perfect driver and follow the road rules, if the law enforcement can’t follow them? I thought policemen were hired to make the streets safer. In my experience some policemen are just a bunch of rule breakers.

One night, I was driving home from work at night and I was stopped by a red light. The intersection was small, only two lanes in every direction. This particular intersection leads into a neighborhood and the right lane merges into the left for a turn. I know from many experiences that people in the right lane are people that can’t wait in a line. So, they scoot up just before the light turns green to get a head start and floor it just to get in front. They then cut you off just before their lane ends and almost cause an accident. Well, this night wasn’t any different. A car pulled up next to me and proceeded to scoot up. So, I shifted the car into low gear and floored it. It was neck and neck. I shifted into second, third, and then fourth. I won what I would call a race and the other car moved behind me since the lane was about to end. I figured it was all over, but then the lights turned on and I was pissed. It was an unmarked cop. He pulled me over and asked where was I going that I needed to be driving that fast. He also asked why I didn’t let him get in front of me. He dismissed my answer and told me that his lane had the right of way and that I could go to jail for what I did. I know right now you are back to that time in your head when you were in driver’s education. And I bet you remember that the people in the left lane have the right of way if the right is merging into the left lane. I guess he skipped that day. He let me go with only a warning. Of course, I hadn’t done anything wrong in my mind. I think he was just mad that he got beat by a corolla.

A few weeks later, I was driving home from school at night and in front of me there was a car tailing another. All of the sudden, the car tailing the other car turned on its lights. A cop had been tailing that car. And from what I could see, the person had done nothing wrong.

Some cops are a bunch of rule breakers with a badge that says it is okay for them to do so.