Healing Power of Humans

Hiroko - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I BELIEVE THAT humans have the ability to heal people. I have always been rescued by people when I have felt depressed, stressed, frustrated, sad, anxious, and nervous. I often feel calm and warmth even if I sometimes say nothing and just stay with people around me such as my friends and family.

When I was a child, I often got a high fever and was confined to bed. I felt dizzy, bad and restless. However, I felt comforted when my mom said to me, “How’s your feeling?” in a gentle voice and took my hand. I also ate rice porridge which is my comfort food cooked by my mother. I could feel relaxed and have a good sleep after that.

My dream was to study abroad. I studied hard to accomplish my dream and aimed to be an exchange student. I had to take the TOEFL exam and reach the passing grade, but I couldn’t pass for a long time and I was troubled. This period was a painful time for me. However, I could feel less pressure when I complained about it to my friends, family and teachers. Their words lightened my troubled thoughts and braced me up to study English again just like the song, “I get by with a little help from my friends” by the Beatles. Because of people’s support, I can study at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the US as an exchange student from Japan now. In contrast, I can also cheer myself up by reaching out to others. I tend to be self-critical, but the opposite is true when I try to help other people. I can come up with great ideas for other people’s situation that I can’t think up when I think about my own.

My mother’s voice and people’s words have comforted me, and their healing power surrounded me when they stayed with me. However, I know that I can receive their healing even when I don’t stay with them.

Healing comes in other forms as well. I belonged to tennis club when I was in high school. A coach’s assistant gave all members in our club a good-luck charm she made and sewed by herself before the big competition. I put that good-luck charm into my pocket before the game, and then I played the game. When I participated in competitions, I always tensed up too much and didn’t do myself justice. However, at that game, I touched my good-luck charm every time when I served and received. As a result, I could regain my composure, feel comfortable and prove myself really capable, and finally I won. That good-luck charm was just made from felt and thread by the coach’s assistant but her handmade charm released my tense feelings and carried me to victory.

I have left my native country, Japan, and now study in the US living apart from my family. Since I just arrived here about a month ago, I sometimes can’t understand what people say and I have to concentrate all the time in class. It makes me get tired. After I came here, I often contact with my parents through e-mails and skype. I can feel my mental tension dissolves gradually, when I read e-mails from them and talk with them through skype. After I read e-mails to cheer me on from my Japanese friends, my tired feelings recover and I can resume my homework, which is more amount than when I was in Japan. When I took the first class after I came here, I worried about taking that class because I couldn’t understand sometimes and I thought that class might be difficult for me. However, one of my friends who has studied in the U.S. for 2 years said to me, “Your English will improve, so it’s ok. You can try!” Thus, I decided to take and try that class.

People’s voice, hands, words, things by handmade and so on bring strong emotional healing for me. I want to heal people like it has been done by my lovely friends, family and everybody around me.