The Most Powerful Object

Jamie - Mesa, Arizona

There were many times in my life when I wanted to give up, times when I felt so emotionally and physically drained that I didn’t think I could go on with my life. Throughout all my troubles there was only one thing that truly kept me going and that was love. I have gone through the struggles of having a huge family, but still feeling like an outsider. I’ve been the person who was different, I had my own views and my own beliefs, and because of this I wasn’t part of the family. Not only have I been the outsider of the family, but I have been the outcast of many groups of friends, too. I wasn’t the skinny cheerleader, the pothead, the gothic chick, and I wasn’t even the nerd, I was the in between, and in high school that’s even worse because then you’re not a part of any group. I didn’t feel like I had a family, any friends, and I didn’t have a boyfriend I could rely on either. I never really felt as if I had anyone.

Although I had issues with these things in the past, I don’t anymore because I found people who like me for me and that I could rely on and trust. I have people like my step mother, my brother, my husband, and my daughter. I love the fact that they are in my life, but I still look back on those times when I had no one around. Not because I like to be stuck in the past or to linger on sad things, but to realize the great things I have now. I am happy with the life I have now and the people who are in it, and although I have been through so much already in my short lifetime, I know that I can bounce back from so much more because of the love shared by the people who are so important to me. I know exactly how much these four people mean to me and I would do anything to keep them safe.

I would never hurt them or take them for granted, and I know I would never do this because of the struggles I have been through before I found them. I didn’t have anything in my life to love before them, so I have been able to appreciate what I love now even more because they could be gone in an instant. I will forever be grateful for the hardships I have been through, they have given me a better understanding of how I am suppose to live life. Now even though these trials are over and I will probably go through more, it’s the belief and understanding that I needed to go through these ordeals to fully appreciate love that makes me a stronger person.