Practice Makes You Better, Not Perfect

Sami - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

While I’m practicing something that comes to my mind, is the idiom, “practice makes perfect.” It is a really simple concept; the more time and effort you put into something the better you’ll be at it, and the closer to perfection, but in reality it’s not that simple. For one, there is no perfect; for example: there have been many times where I’ve worked at something for a long time, devoting more than ample time to it, but something or other still goes wrong; not necessarily a bad thing, just not raw perfection. Another thing is that some people will practice more than others, yet still not be as good. Whether you’re a football player making a catch, or a track runner sprinting to the finish So it’s also a thing of luck, and I think even a mental thing on some levels. So, to be straightforward, I believe that practice, among other things, will make you better, however not perfect.

When I say “among other things” I mean that there is more than just practice to help improve in whatever you’re doing. For starters, effort is a big factor. An example of this would be in something like practicing an instrument. If you are letting your mind wander and your just putting together random notes, there isn’t really any way you will get any better. The same thing goes for my situation in running; if I am going for a long run, let’s say an hour, and I am fooling around, or walking up hills, just doing something and not giving a hundred percent, I am not going to get any better. The way I view approaching practice is a time to focus on what you’re doing and center your thoughts on it. If you find your mind wandering, then take a breather and try to think about something, like on what you need to improve.

In everything I have accomplished, there was a lot of work involved in doing them. Sometimes it’s a bumpy start, sometimes it’s smooth and then becomes bumpy, or just moderate the whole time. One way or another I think that there is simply no perfect way to do things. I think that this allows us to ponder what really is the right way and just forever improve our selves. Something relevant a math teacher one told me is: you can keep halving the distance between two points but they will never meet. The comparison is this, you can work towards perfection, and you’ll get closer and closer, but you’ll never actually reach the ideal.